Big L some research here for your station poems

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_train_stations_are_there_in_the_UK

'I reckon there are around 5,900
stahttp://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_train_stations_are_there_in_the_UKtion
s, including those on heritage or private railways, proposed stations and
London Underground.

Not a definitive answer - but a start!

A better answer:

without closed down stations or underground stations it is 2656.

i counted those listed on wikipedia and including closed down stations it is
9458. (not including underground stations)

At the moment there are 311 underground stations and there are 43
underground stations that were once open and now have closed, soo..

In total all the stations closed now or still open in the uk is: 9812.'

A few anthologies there lets say at 5 stations per day??
Cheers Patrick

Read more:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_train_stations_are_there_in_the_UK#ixzz1U
AkdMJIU