Dear Chuck,

yes, I think you are right - my take on the moment in all of this that can be gifted the name "design thinking" is the moment of what you describe as  "the other side of selection, the execution, evaluation and learning
that follow, that support future interpretations of immediate circumstances. " On this other side, one can observe a dramaturgical moment and then one can look to construct a poetics. That is, design thinking is a doing. Just how do we do this stuff called designing? It's not all that difficult but mostly it is impossible. Why? Because designers are rushing to the achievement of an object as the objectification of their thinking. To objectify thinking as its own object is philosophy. Some designers feel cheated when they end up with a theory of practice (poetic) rather than a bib or a bob.

 cheers

keith

On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Keith Russell wrote:

> Terry would point out that the initial action of attention was pre-
> enacted in non-conscious parts of my brain. I am cool with this.
>
> So, maybe we are always projecting (complex mixture of attention.
> selection, election) which mens, in some way, we are always acting
> first (there is always a first act of consciousness which, at a
> minimum, equals attention.)

Keith,  I like your approach! and also agree with Terry. In my view,
intentions/attentions arise as wants and needs arise from an immediate
situation after non-conscious pre-interpretation of its information .
Selection of what objects and organizations  to attend to follows
until election of a formal meaning, plan of action, and predictions
lead to actions that result in outcomes responsive to the motivating
wants and needs. tThe pursuit and satisfaction of intentional goals,
always begins with attention and moves forward as you suggest. It is
on the other side of selection, the execution, evaluation and learning
that follow, that support future interpretations of immediate
circumstances.   This is how I see A Theory of Design Thinking
agreeing with your approach.

Warm regards,
Chuck