sounds really good

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Carr Barnes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I've just found this on the Stanford University website - think I'll be using aspects of it :)

Rest is a key component in ensuring the performance of the musculoskeletal system. Frequent breaks can decrease the duration of a task and help lower the exposure to ergonomic injury risk.

The human body is always active while performing tasks at work. Even while seated, postural muscles are exerting tension to hold the mass of our upper body and head upright. Prolonged exertion can fatigue the muscles, which may lead to injury.
Improper workstation setup, along with certain processes, force people to maintain awkward postures and/or be exposed to compressive forces for long periods of time. Awkward postures and compression can impede the flow of blood, impinge nerves, and injure soft tissue.

Break and Microbreak Suggestions

  • Avoid extended periods of continuous tasks (such as typing or pipetting) by taking short breaks (~2 min) or performing other tasks (maximum of 30 minutes continuous computer use/repetitive lab task at any time).
  • Take microbreaks (approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute) every 10 minutes to rest the upper and lower extremities, back, neck, and eyes.

Ideas for taking breaks:

  • Move your printer to an area that requires you to stand up and walk to get your printout.
  • Stand up for phone calls.
  • Go to the restroom or get a cup of coffee/water.
  • Alter your tasks (break up continuous computer time with checking phone messages, reading reports, etc.).