I think it's important to pull back a bit from the why's and wherefores of what is on the GP note (this is IMHO a bit of a red herring for the real issue ie.. what should management do and what role OH have.

- manager should discuss with HR what is acceptable on a Fitnote from companies standards (GP answers to DWP for stat sick pay and what he writes on note for that)
- manager should also decide with HR if they want to refer to OH for an opinion of whether there are any medical issues to take account of; depending on the outcome of this assessment they can decide the next course of action:
  1. no medical issues - life event issue - management may call in employee and discuss that special leave is more appropriate way to manage absence for duration e.g. special leave etc
  2. medical issues are in play also - therefore again management to discuss with HR that occupational sick pay is appropriate way forwards and OH to make any appropriate referrals if supported by company e.g. EAP, counselling etc and give advice on medical prognosis in relation to fitness for work
 I suggest you help the manager clarify what exactly he is concerned about? Fraud? How to manage the absence? I would presume it is the second option and therefore the above steps need to be taken.

Carr