From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Robert Waterhouse
Sent: 23 August 2011 10:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Underground Inclines

Dear Ali,

I mean an angled shaft designed to take a railway, rather than a skip road
as found on vertical or near-vertical shafts.  One should be able to walk up
and down without using ropes, though of course some are pretty steep even
so.  I went down the Wheal Crebor one with a rope at Rick Stewart's
insistence, but didn't really need it, while Cononley is an easy scramble.

I'm perfectly well aware that there are exceptions - one of the ones at
Friendship shown on the long section is clearly sunk on a cross-course or
slide as its only about 15-20 degrees off vertical, but it seems to be an
exception rather than a rule.

looking north on the line of the principal lode, but have never seen a
vertical plan of the workings.  I have not seen either plans or sections of
Betsy.

Robert