Von: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Soo Downe
Gesendet: Dienstag, 2. August 2011 09:34
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: query about the use of vaginal examination in labour and/or the use of the partogramme

Dear all

We are completing a protocol for a review on the value of the vaginal examination as a measure of progress in labour. We have been advised that the VE is never used without the partogramme (and without attention to all the elements on the partogramme). From our clinical experience, we are not sure that this is the case - we have practical experience of the VE being used as a measure of progress in labour without reference to the partogramme (even where it is part of the routine recording process) but our experience may well be very limited. We would be very interested in your experience in the following areas:

1. In your experience, is vaginal examination ever used on its own, without using a partogramme?
2. Where the partogramme is used as a record, are all the elements of it usually used in a decision on whether to intervene?

Many thanks for your advice

All the best

Soo