Dear Friends,

A question I ought not have to ask. Where would one go if one wanted to find
the office for Good Friday in the thirteenth-century medieval Roman
Breviary?

For the immediate context:  In Geoffrey of Beaulieu's  Life of Saint Louis
he writes:
In like fashion he learned that in certain monasteries, when these lines are
said in the four “passions,” that are said in the holy week, commonly called
penitential, “*Inclinato capite emisit spiritum*,” or “*expiravit*,” the
congregation devotedly genuflected and lay flat down awhile for the prayer. Our
pious king then made sure this practice was similarly observed in his own
chapel and in many other churches.  Therefore, also, at his request, this
practice was approved in the Order Preaching Brothers and made a regulation.

This line ends up in Bonaventure's Officio de passione (which someone
somewhere said he wrote at Louis' commission - but I don't know if that's
true), and a note in that edition tells me the line is taken from the Roman
Breviary for "Fer vi, Parasceve" (or presumably, on several counts, the
Franciscan Breviary, obviously).  Can anyone send me to the best source
edition for the basic Roman Breviary?  That said, if anyone knows of this
line in a monastic breviary for some monastery in the Ile de France region,
even better (but not necessary)!

Thanks much,
cecilia gaposchkin
from New Hampshire, where it is raining hard but is not (yet?) a hurricane

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]