On 08/19/11, Marjorie Burghart   wrote:

> Thank you so much, John!
> If I may ask for advice: I often draw a blank when it comes to identifying citations by Chrysostomus, is there any trick to make it easier?

Dear Marjorie,

You're very welcome.  I can't think of any trick but here's the technique that worked in this instance:

A)  Translate the least common Latin term or terms of the quotation (this assumes that searching in Latin has been unproductive -- though I always do that first against the chance that someone else has footnoted the source of this text or of one very similar to it).

B)  Put those terms plus a distinctive form of the author's name into a query and then search in Google.

C)  Scan the results until one either finds a useful indication or else gives up.

If you don't mind engaging in a pragmatic bit of linguistic treason, I would suggest English as the target language of the translation.  In the case of Patristic writers, at least, there seems to be more comment and more translation findable digitally from one's browser in this language than in any other "western" tongue.

Best,
John Dillon
University of Wisconsin-Madison

to: [log in to unmask]