From: mwood <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thu, 25 August, 2011 21:18:39
Subject: Re: GCSE times series for different languages

Perhaps the exam boards should take the same approach as the IB authorities - who have an  "ab initio" exam for Chinese and 2 separate exams for pupils with a pre-existing knowledge of the language, depending on whether they have some knowledge or are native speakers.  At the moment the GCSE is trying to serve two very different cohorts and whilst it is harsh to exclude pupils from Chinese community schools who do not have access to teachers to conduct controlled assessments,  it is also harsh to expect pupils in school, without a Chinese background, to compete with them for top grades at GCSE - it's quite alarming to think that as much as 35% of the GCSE entrants might have had this advantage in the past.

I see that the article about A-level states that the exam boards say the increase in numbers is due to the increase in non-Chinese pupils sitting the exam.  I would like to see the evidence for this.  I am sure there are more than there used to be - but 37% more overall?

Just my thoughts

Mary