Many people here want to help e.g. by joining 'Friends' groups or coming in to do extra actvivitie se.g. for children or older users but not to staff or indeed finance them to the tune of tens of thousands per year as my authority seems to want them to do. They (the public)  have made it very clear that they want the staff to stay but despite extensive 'consultations' my employer insists that redundancies will continue. This will leave us with ever fewer professionally qualified and experienced staff to manage the remaining 'service'.