There is an interesting *anti* ebook (as they are now-or more especially ebook readers) argument from Richard Stallman (open source guru) on the UNESCO Focus blog:

Personal Statement on “book tomorrow” by Richard Matthew Stallman May 31st, 2011

http://focus2011.org/2011/05/personal-statement-on-book-tomorrow-by-richard-matthew-stallman/

It’s short so I’ll repeat it in full:

_________________________________________________________________-

E-books as currently used attack the traditional freedoms of readers.

For example, the Amazon Kindle Swindle denies its users the freedom to acquire books anonymously; to give, lend, or sell them; to keep them for as long as they wish; indeed, even the freedom to own a book. It does this through digital handcuffs (malicious software features to restrict the users) as well as through legal instruments.

Encrypted e-books require the use of non-libre software, software that users do not have control over, because free software capable of reading them is censored in the US and the EU.

We readers must defeat this attack. We must not be satisfied with a partial change to respect part of our traditional freedoms.

For freedom’s sake, we readers must reject e-books, and campaign against them, until they respect our freedom. We must insist on e-books that can be bought (not just licensed); that can be bought anonymously; that do not demand acceptance of restrictive contractual conditions; and that are published in documented formats that are an open standard, so that people can freely write and use software to read them with.

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email: [log in to unmask]  www.kenchadconsulting.com

Skype: kenchadconsulting   Twitter: @KenChad