From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 August 2011 09:35
To: Ken Chad
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The printed book is doomed: here's why (From Telegraph)

‘It’s convenience that is drawing people to ebooks and that is what will kill printed books. Or, if not kill them, reduce them to the same minority hobbyist status that vinyl records now occupy’.

Which would sound fine until you point out [to extend the analogy] that Vinyl is enjoying a massive resurgence in popularity, sounds much better than CD and infinitely better than lossy digital files [Lossless files are natch pretty good] and are just much 'nicer' to engage with and use...as are printed books.

Now, I love me gadgets [especially those which allow me to listen to music in its purest forms], but if it's a choice between The Lindisfarne Gospels, The Luttrell Psalter or a Kindle, I know which gets my vote.

Printed books & materials are ACE!, surely that's why we're all here in the first place? I think it's dangerous to speak of things being 'doomed' as I was saying to my pet Coelacanth just the other day....

Steve 'the minority hobbyist'

Steve Powell BA (Hons) MCLIP
Team Librarian
Libraries, Archives and Information