This is an interesting question! Can't help as I'm about to start
relooking at our stock policy but haven't yet started. We've never had a
specific section on donations from religious - and perhaps other special
interest groups such as political groupings - but I think a good place to
start would be CILIP's advice on controversial material.

http://www.cilip.org.uk/get-involved/policy/responses/past-consultations/consultations2008/Pages/mla_controversial_material2008.aspx

We've had problems in the past where groups have simply delivered large
boxes of books to every branch in our system, and I know I had one
conversation with a representative of one such group where I was able to
explain why this was not a good idea, which certainly helped next time
they wanted to donate something! We've tended to keep one set of material
and disposed of the rest in accordance with our existing policy on
donations, which is basically 'thank you - our librarians will decide if
we wish to stock it and sell the rest'. This certainly works with
individual donors who then have the choice whether to give to us or send
elsewhere.
We also have the problem, which I imagine is common to many authorities
with shrinking Bib Services, increased automation, joint working etc that
we just never get to donations and to cataloguing stock from scratch. We
have to prioritise those areas of our own stock that have never been
catalogued in their entirety eg local studies and printed music.

Folks may be interested (or it may come as no suprise) that this isn't a
new problem. Back in the early 20C Middlesbrough Libraries were donated a
magnificent personal library of mainly but not entirely theological works
by a member of the Plymouth Brethren. At that time Middlesbrough Library
(I think there was just the one) was housed in the Town Hall. As a result
of the donation, Middlesbrough sought and got funding from Andrew Carnegie
and built our Central Library - which will be 100 next year. However  this
still did not completely solve the problem of how to manage the Kelly
Collection - and we're still working on it!
Go figure.

I'll be interested to hear how others tackle this  - and wish Graham all
the best with his situation.

Alyson Hogarth
Stock Manager
Middlesbrough Libraries and Information
01642 729420

'Literacy is not a luxury, it is a right and a responsibility.'
Bill Clinton

Dash Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>
24/08/2011 12:35
Please respond to
Dash Graham <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Collections of religious material

Is anyone able to provide an example of library policy relating to the
donation of books from religious or other similar groups please? One or
two aren?t a problem, but we?ve recently been offered a large number
(c.150) titles and wish to know how other libraries would handle this
situation.

Thanks

Graham
Graham Dash, MCLIP, Library Services Manager (Systems & Development)
Environment & Leisure Group, Leisure & Libraries
London Borough of Sutton, Central Library, St Nicholas Way, SUTTON, Surrey
 SM1 1EA .
Tel.: 020 8770 4763, Mobile: 07515137830, Fax: 020 8770 4777
Borough web site: www.sutton.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=907
Library Catalogue web site: www.sutton-libraries.gov.uk

This email and the information it contains are confidential and intended
solely for
the exclusive use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended
recipient, this email should not be copied, forwarded, or printed for any
purpose, or
the contents disclosed to any other person. If you have received this
email in error,
please notify the London Borough of Sutton immediately on +44 (020) 8770
5000 or
email [log in to unmask] and then delete the email.

Although the London Borough of Sutton operates anti-virus programmes, it
does not
accept any responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
viruses being
passed.

This message has been scanned for malware.

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of
Middlesbrough Council. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Middlesbrough Council does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public
network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged, and are solely for the
use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone
and notify the sender at the above address. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
omitted, in reliance on the contents, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Middlesbrough Council's computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective
operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Save energy, money and the environment - is it really necessary to print this message?

 ** This email has been scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **