You might also be interested in the Facet/Neal-Schuman book: Gaming in Libraries by Kelly Nicole Czarnecki

http://www.facetpublishing.co.uk/title.php?id=729-6

James

From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Genevieve Clarke
Sent: 10 August 2011 12:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Scrabble in Library?[Scanned]

The Reading Agency has been looking at the potential for using digital games on a range of platforms (online, consoles, mobile) as a motivator for less confident readers to engage with text in relation to our work for adult literacy.  We published a feasibility study in June 2010 (http://www.readingagency.org.uk/new-thinking/gaming-for-reading/) followed by a roundtable discussion involving literacy and gaming experts (see Gaming for Reading at www.youtube.com/readingagency).

We’ve now taken this further as follows:

-       made a start at adding games to our new database of recommended reads for people with literacy needs at www.readingagency.org/uk/findaread

-       explored ways in which we can add a digital dimension to our Six Book Challenge scheme in order to broaden people’s definitions of reading and encourage them to go online (linked to Race Online 2012)

-       held a think tank event in June 2010 which included input from a library perspective from Carl Cross from Derbyshire Libraries who I believe initiated a google group on the topic of gaming in libraries - see http://groups.google.com/group/lib-gaming-uk

-       written a further report based on this new research and development work which we hope to publish in the early autumn

Please get in touch if you’d like to know more.  Many thanks   Genevieve

Genevieve Clarke
Senior Project Manager
The Reading Agency
Tel 0871 750 2104 / new mobile 07500 010 620
www.readingagency.org.uk

Looking for ways to get adults into reading?  Try www.sixbookchallenge.org.uk and www.chatabout.org.uk

read – The Reading Agency Ltd
Free Word Centre
60 Farringdon Road
London EC1R 3GA
Company limited by guarantee, registered number 390488 (England & Wales)
Registered charity number 1085443 (England & Wales)
Registered Office c/o CW Fellowes, Templars House, Lulworth Close, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire SO53 3TL

P Help save paper - do you need to print this email?