Nice question! I used to vacillate but now I think .

1.       Say

a.       "I'm a librarian!"

2.       Add a tone of pride and self-esteem

3.       Smile

4.       Then tell them what you - and other librarians - really do ...
they're always impressed

It usually opens up conversations about "books v t'Internet" and you can use
this as a springboard to tell them about the amazing worldwide reach of
every librarian and library support staff, how you help people, about the
many technologies we use, the communities of learners who come into our
places . readers, children who love bookstart and the summer reading
challenge, the student, researchers, lecturers, pensioners, MP's and Lords,
housebound and blind people, the prison inmates, the new communities, the
entrepreneurs, jobseekers, about, music libraries, choral sets, poetry
libraries, Inspire, Enquire, CILIP and the Women's Institute, the American
Library Association's huge conferences, Voices for the Library,
Librarycamps, Libraries Change Lives, Carnegie and Greenaway awards, cycling
for libraries, the British Library, Image libraries, online libraries, Getty
and BBC libraries, hospital, mobile, llama and elephant libraries, library
architecture, the ancient greeks and remember to mention the parliamentary
libraries (where somehow, they even manage without volunteers)  ......

You can spend a very pleasant hour with people.

John

John Dolan OBE, BA, Dip Lib, MCLIP

E. [log in to unmask]

Tw @johnrdolan