From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Winfield, Hugh
Sent: 01 August 2011 14:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Digitising Aerial photographs

Sarah,

Is this verticals or oblique? I had a quote a few years back which, if I remember correctly, was c.£12 per 1:10,000 vertical with a seamless layer produced at the end of the process. This obviously added up to a few thousand just for partial coverage of my small UA. I intended to, but never got around to, asking if it would be possible to scan them ourselves and send them the TIFs to produce a seamless layer, so I'd be interested if anyone has done anything similar.
We did get the 1940s RAF photos from the NMR scanned and turned into a seamless layer for about £6k if I remember correctly, and they have been invaluable.

As for Obliques, ArcGis used to be able to rectify and georeference quite well; I presume it still can but I haven't used the latest versions. MapInfo can't rectify, unless I'm missing a feature, but can georeference.

Hugh

Hugh Winfield
Archaeologist and Historic Environment Record Officer
Development Management
Origin One, Origin Way
Europarc, Grimsby
North East Lincolnshire
DN37 9TZ
Tel: (01472) 32 3586 Fax: (01472) 32 4216

Balfour Beatty working in partnership with North East Lincolnshire Council