Hi,

Similarly how does it fit with the Great Britain Historical Geographical Information System (GBHGIS) and the resulting 'A vision of Britain through time' ( http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/ ) project.

Regards

Simon

>>> Graham Tait <[log in to unmask]> 03/08/2011 10:06 >>>
Hi all,

I have just heard about a project called "The English Landscapes and Identities Project" to be carried out by the School of Archaeology at the University of Oxford - more details can be found on the School of Archaeology's news webpage; http://www.arch.ox.ac.uk/news/items/99.html or a press release from the University of Oxford released yesterday; http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2011/110208_1.html.

I personally haven't heard about this before, and was alerted to this through a post on the archaeology/technology mailing list Antiquist who'd seen the following article in the Telegraph; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8675237/Project-to-map-ancient-landscape-of-England-may-reveal-burial-grounds-under-your-house.html

It looks a really interesting (and ambitious) project, and it will be fascinating to look at research at this national level. It does raise some questions about how this will fit with Historic Environment Records.

Can anyone from the project, or one of their listed 'partners' (English Heritage, the Archaeology Data Service, the Portable Antiquities Scheme or the British Museum) tell us (the HER community) any more about this? For example, how it will fit into work being undertaken by HERs, whether HERs will be consulted, whether links to HER records (and online HERs) be part of the project, how it will link with Heritage Gateway, etc??

I have copied in the principle investigator, Professor Chris Gosden (http://www.arch.ox.ac.uk/CG1.html), to see if he can let HERs know more about this project.

Best regards,

Graham

--