From:         Michael Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:       "The Health Equity Network (HEN)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:32:20
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 'rioting' and HEN

Hi all -

I have to agree with Darrin that the discussions on HEN over the last couple of weeks have illuminated some of the issues around these events as well as exposing some of the fault lines in the network.  Interpreting such events as they occur or in the immediate aftermath is fraught with difficulties, but the report in the Guardian linking social unrest to austerity surely places the events of the last few weeks firmly within the remit of this group.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/16/austerity-programmes-cause-riots

I don't think we need to be afraid of, or apologise for, disagreements within the network, these help us all develop more considered arguments in the longer run.

Dr Michael Shepherd
Senior Research Fellow
Cardiff Institute of Society and Health
School of Social Sciences