Just a thought for all,

don't you think it is a good idea to have a
Master's degree (or in the good ole days in
Germany, a diploma) before starting a PhD? I
remember when I was a PhD student at the
University of Alberta, Canada, that students
coming directly from a BSc were much more likely
to abort or fail than those who already held a
MSc. I think the step from a BSc, where you are
basically told what to do, to a PhD which
requires independent thinking and research, and
self-discipline and the commitment to several
years of work, is quite steep. I don't think that
I could have succeeded with a PhD without having
done a diploma (aka Master's) thesis first. I
also think that most students who just finished
their BSc are quite young, too young I think, to
do a PhD. There are of course always exceptions...

Best wishes,

Jochen

At 16:19 04.08.2011, you wrote:
>Hi Ernie,
>The requirements to apply for a public-funded
>PhD in Spain require 4 years, not as bad as in Italy but
>still meaning that a masters degree is needed
>before being eligible. Students from the Netherlands
>with a three year degree for example, are also excluded.
>They call this European Space for Higher
>Education. Note that it doesn't include the term Coordinated
>at the beginning.
>cheers,
>Sergio
>
>On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:41:07 +0000, Ernest Rutter wrote
> > Hello Emanuele,
> >     Thankyou for the information about the PhD opportunity. Are you
> > aware that the entry requirement of a  Geoscience degree based on at
> > least 5 years of study will eliminate most potential applicants from
> > naturally English-speaking nations, unless they already have a
> > masters degree as well. Is this really what you wish to do?
>
> > Sincerely
> > E. Rutter

Dr. Jochen Mezger
Lehrbeauftragter - Lecturer
Allgemeine Geologie

Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg      Tel.: 49-0-345-5526120
Institut für
Geowissenschaften                  Fax: 49-0-345-5527220
Von-Seckendorff-Platz 3
06120 Halle                             Email: [log in to unmask]
GERMANY

http://www.geologie.uni-halle.de/igw/allgeo/staff/mez.html
http://allgeo.geologie.uni-halle.de/mitarbeiter/jmezger/