Re: BSc to PhD? A “universal standard for degrees is a fine idea but not very likely.

My bias is from the US perspective, where one can get an approx. 2 yr. masters after the typical 4 yr B.S./B.A. The PhD can usually follow after an additional 3 years (or more). Less common but also more common among elite graduate programs in the USA, a good student can go from the BS/BA directly through doctorate in about 5 years.

There certainly are pros and cons of the different systems. However, the British concept of almost total concentration on geology curricula for the 3-yr undergrad degree is not for everyone. If we assume that the zenith of a geoscience career is doing top-level research, then the Brit system may be best However, at its best, the liberal-arts emphasis among many US schools tends to produce more circumspect and flexible individuals. These people are better suited for integrated, managerial tasks in the future. This “track” is where industry and government ought to look for its leadership. Today, more than ever, the world needs the combination of very competent science and a broader, more applied perspective.

Jeff G.