The 'modernisation' of EU degrees is directed by the Bologna Process and the Lisbon Recognition Convention on degree recognition.
The Minsters who control the Bologna Process thought in 1999 that this would be complete by 2010, they are now planning to have
it done by 2020 in the 47 signatory countries.  Currently, I believe a total of 68, countries world-wide are considering the Bologna
reforms as they also wish to improve the  efficiency of their higher education systems.  One effect of these reforms seems to have been
increasing student mobility in the EU, which now accounts for >50% of all such mobility globally.

Degree structures are governed by national law, not imposed by the EU.  However, the EU promotes Bologna compliant practices
by requiring these for such schemes as Erasmus Mundus.  The Bologna Process is an attempt, amongst other things, to
facilitate mutual recognition of degrees, both for purposes of further study and employment (see the EuroAges - http://www.euro-ages.eu
which aims to develop Europe wide standards for the geological profession).

A useful review of the current state of affairs - as this is a work in progress - can be found at:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/activities/committees/studies/download.do?language=en&file=35091

There are nice summary diagrams+tables in the Annex which show the current state of play in Bachelors-Masters-Doctorate progression models.

Paul

Professor Paul D. Ryan
EOS, NUI, Galway, Ireland
tel:+353(0)91794599 mob: +353(0)872956190