Although I now use GMT for nearly all of my plotting needs (it is really
worth learning!), I used to use DeltaGraph. It works basically like
Excel, but is capable of making contour plots and other more
scientifically useful plots. It runs on Win and Mac.

http://www.redrocksw.com/deltagraph/

A few years ago I was able to talk them down to $75 (US) per seat for a
set of academic licenses. They use a new version now, so I'm not sure
what the official cost is.

Also, SigmaPlot is a similar product
http://www.sigmaplot.com/products/sigmaplot/sigmaplot-details.php
But it seems to cost $550 for academics.
Cheers,
-Scott

--
Scott T. Marshall

http://www.appstate.edu/~marshallst/
ftp://pm.appstate.edu/pub/prog/marshallst/