If you like to have user-friendly version of GMT, you can try IGMT

http://geodynamics.usc.edu/~becker/igmt/

another suggestion for free "Surfer"-like software is MIRONE:

http://w3.ualg.pt/~jluis/mirone/

have a look, it might help.

Cheers
Faramarz

On 29 August 2011 21:48, Whitney Behr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
The Matlab mapping toolbox can do most of what Surfer does, although it does require the use of some basic Matlab commands, and it's US$200 on top of the general Matlab license (still cheaper than Surfer or ArcGIS).  See http://www.mathworks.com/products/mapping/description1.html

Whitney Behr