Geo-Tectonics Folks,
I wanted to thank the list for generating a very useful and educational
discussion about the lithosphere, asthenosphere, and the so-called
"brittle-ductile transition". I now realize that a lot of my confusion
was justified since we clearly have a range of definitions for these
terms. It was very enlightening to hear all of the different views of
these thermo-mechanical layers.

I now have a much improved plan of how I will teach these terms to our
students, but I will refrain from posting the plan here as to not
encourage endless discussion.

I offer a sincere thank-you to everyone that responded to the list or to
me personally.

Cheers,
-Scott

--
Scott T. Marshall

http://www.appstate.edu/~marshallst/
ftp://pm.appstate.edu/pub/prog/marshallst/