Hi,

what do you mean by grey voxels? Do you use the functional data as
thresholded z-map, or do you try to run the call on a rendered image
that overlaid the statistics on the structural brain. For the latter I
won't be surprised, if it also uses the grey voxels of your structural
image. Use this call on the thresholdes z-stat image, and it should work.

fslstats your_roi -V   # should give the number of voxels / volume of
your roi
fslstats your_funcdata -k your_roi -V  # gives the number of voxels
within this roi, that are superthreshold (as long you use the stats
image only)

good luck,
wolf