From: Jacob Puliyel <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, 12 August 2011, 6:00
Subject: Re: Turning the tide on conflicts of interest

Dear Jo and Others on the List
Jo you wrote
The reader should always know if and how writers could benefit but I am slightly nervous about the use of a total ban. This ban would really only target writers who have already declared their conflicting interests. How do we know who else has ties to industry if they do not declare them, or if they actively conceal these.

Are we allowing the best to be the enemy of the good?

We can tackle undeclared conflicts as the next step. Let us deal with the obvious declared conflicts of interest first.

I see little point in just publishing the declaration of conflict of interests. It is editorial cop out.
By publishing declarations of conflicts of interests, the Editor is saying simply, "This author has declared that he has conflicts of interest when writing  this review/editorial. With all the resources I have at my disposal, I am unable to state that this has/has not biased his/her judgment. You, as the reader, must make that judgment. If you think that the conflict of interest has biased him/her, please disregard this review/editorial that we are publishing."

Jacob Puliyel
Head of Pediatrics
St Stephens Hospital
Delhi