Dear all

Thanks for the replies, especially to Ted who took the trouble to look beyond the apparent inanity of the question. BTW I was not suggesting any deception or using the 'results' gained this way as 'Results'; or doing this to save the time and or trouble of recruiting a larger sample. It was simply to see if there was a way that a researcher could satisfy her/his own curiosity regarding the potential validity when confined for whatever reason to a small sample.

 The original questioner was limited to a  sample of 12 and wondered about the value of the findings. There are many occasions when small samples have to be tollerated perhaps through circumstances such as testing a new treatment for a rare condition, or lack of time or funding. Perhaps doing this and of course being honest about it could help them to get funding for further human trials or computer extrapolations.
Best wishes Jo

From: Klim McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 3 August, 2011 9:19:49
Subject: Re: Sample Size Question

Please !  Doing what is suggested is simply making up data - lazily.

That's what is wrong with it !

The 'significance' is premised on real random samples - which would be
violently violated.

Klim

Klim McPherson Phd FFPH FMedSci
Visiting Professor of Public Health Epidemiology
Nuffield Dept Obs & Gynae  & New College
University of Oxford
Mobile 007711335993