I was quickly contacted by 2 or 3 people at Cochrane after posting my email to the EBP listserv.

There are reviews available before 2005.  If a review is updated and your search in PubMed or Medline retrieves the earlier version, you will be taken to the later version (if you use an article linking tool).   There is a tab at the Cochrane Library (from Wiley) that says "Other versions" that will retrieve the earlier version.

The mystery of the missing review has been solved as well.  A 2003 review on oxytocin and lactation could not be found at the Cochrane site no matter how one searched.  I have been informed by someone at Cochrane that approximately 11 reviews were indeed pulled as they were out of date, had misleading conclusions, etc.  However, I was also informed that they can no longer pull reviews which is how it should be.  Reviews that are later found to contain misleading information should have an indication that this is the case.

Librarians have long argued that with electronic formats comes electronic censoring-items just disappear with a tap of the delete button.  Even in cases of research misconduct (and I am NOT saying this was the case with the pulled Cochrane review NOR am I even implying it; this is in general), we need to retain access to the original documents the same as we do with print.

Helena

Helena M. VonVille, MLS, MPH
Library Director
University of Texas School of Public Health Library
Houston, TX  77030
713.500.9131 (office)
713.500.9125 (fax)