Hi Jeremy,
While I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed in your message, it is content -specific expertise (and not methodological expertise) and tacit-knowledge in a given subject area that defines "experts" ... As saying goes, people want to know not only if the authors "talk the talk, but walked the walk"... Have they sweated those 10,00 hours that are said to be minimum to acquire expertise in a particular topic? That's why reading the article about a drug X for disease Y will not be perceived as credible unless they are written by the folks in the field...who, alas, by and large, and almost by definition must have intellectual or financial conflict of  interests...
Ben
Ps having said this, there may be a hybrid model to satisfy all sides. The one I have in mind are the NIH consensus statements. The experts with COI are invited to provide their input but cannot write the article. So, perhaps joint authorship - composed of people with and without industry ties- may be a solution?

Sent from my iPad