A small sample size is of course a problem, but there are many many
scientific studies
in which small samples provide the only current option.

1.  With a small sample, it is naturally more difficult to attain
statistical significance,
A larger effect size is needed.   But it is still possible to reach
"significance."

If one is in the (admittedly unusual) circumstance of knowing prior
distribution shape on
the main outcome measure (e.g., by examining a large database with the
group in
question), sample size requirements are diminished, as one can fit a
more exact
statistical model.

If pre-treatment stability can be established (e.g. by repeated
measures), needed sample
size can be driven down greatly.

2.  Generalization to the population of  interest is also an issue.
Random sampling from
the population helps a great deal, and in theory can firmly establish
generalization.   But
usually one cannot prove that one's sample is really random, as one does
not have a list
of everyone in the total population   It is easier for a small  sample
to be non-representative
of the  population which one would like to generalize.  Repeating the
sample in important
variants of the target population can to a long way to address
generalization concerns.

Cheers.

-- MVJ

On 7/30/2011 8:15 AM, Ted Harding wrote:
> Possible answers to this question are very contingent on the
> particularities of the object of study.
> See comments in-line below.
>
> On 30-Jul-11 12:35:45, Anoop Balachandran wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> How valid is a study which uses a sample size of 12 with a
>> within-subject design? Or how well can we extrapolate the
>> conclusions to the population studied.
> Validity: Regardless of sample size, a properly executed study
> is always valid -- as far as it goes. How far it goes depends,
> again, on the particularities. Even then, whether it is *adequate*
> for your purposes depends on how far you need it to go. It might
> be that your needs are so broadly defined that a very imprecise
> answer will be adequate, and a small sample may be adequate.
> If your needs for precision are stringently set, and if the
> variation in the population is large, then a small sample will
> not be adequate, and you will need to calculate what sample
> size will be adequiate. However, for that you need an estimate
> of the variability in the population.
>
> Extrapolation to population: *Very* contingent on how likely it
> is that a sample of given size will capture, "representatively",
> the essential features of the variation in the population.
> In particular, if the population is "non-homogenous" (i.e.
> consists of several groups each with distinct characteristics)
> then your sample will need to be large enough to have a good
> propbability of including an adequate number from each group.
> Or, if you know of markers which can identify the distinct
> groups, then you might consider adopting a stratified sampling
> approach.
>
>> I have heard that you need at least 30 per group to get a normal
>> distribution. That been said,  I have read that even numbers
>> approaching 10 can get you close to a normal distribution.
> If the distribution of values in the population being sampled
> from is close to Normal, then you can validly treat your sample
> as a sample from a Normal distribution, regardless of sample size.
> However, varifying this condition is another question. People
> often carry out some test (e.g. Kolmogorov-Smirnov) for Normality.
> It will be important to choose the sample size large enough that
> a deperture from Normality in the population which is large enough
> to invalidate your results has high probability of being detected
> (power of test).
>
> If you have a sample from a non-Normal population, then in general
> a large enough sample size means that statistics calculated in the
> analysis (e.g. sample means) will have distributions which are
> close to Normal. However, the sample size you would need will depend
> on the degree and kind of the departure from Normality. In particular,
> if the variable has (say) a positively skew distribution in the
> population, then Normality for the (say) sample mean  will only
> slowly be approached (skewness is particularly toxic to the Normality
> [...]

*/Mark V. Johnston,/**//**/Ph.D./*

Professor, Occupational Science and Technology,

College of Health Sciences

University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee

(414) 229-3616