From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Briggs
Sent: 12 August 2011 09:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: a moot point

According to Bosworth-Toller, the basic meaning of mōt is ‘toll’ (http://www.bosworthtoller.com/023191):

mót, e; f.(?) Toll, tax :-- Mót ðæs cyninge[s] nomisma census, Mt. Kmbl. Lind. 22, 19. [Goth. móta toll, custom: cf. Icel. múta a fee; O.H. Ger. múta toll: Ger. mauth.]

If this is right, can I not interpret Mutford in Suffolk as ‘ford with  a toll’?

Furthermore, this would imply that the word ‘moot’ comes from gemōt, which must have therefore originally meant ‘assembly for the collection of taxes’.   This would be consistent with OED s.v. moot n.1, which does not relate the word to the stem of “meet”, unlike Smith in EPNE (which now look wrong).

Keith

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s).
use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk