From: The Social Context of Death, Dying and Disposal of the Dead [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stobert, Mark
Sent: 03 August 2011 09:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Display of bodies at funerals.

It is not uncommon practice for the coffin to be opened in the house prior to travelling to the funeral.  Commonly in many households the funeral director will brings the coffin in to the house from the hearse for prayers to be said.  Some families request that the coffin be open.

Also it has been my experience that at West Indian funerals mourners will file past the open coffin in the church.

      Mark
Mark Stobert
Chaplaincy Team Leader

Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Trust,  Russells Hall Hospital,  Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 2HQ.
T.N 01384 456111  ex 2352  sec. 2712                                          Mobile 07786 510217

This electronic mail, including any attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee. The opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual, and are not necessarily the views of The Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Trust. This communication may contain information protected by law from being passed on or circulated. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email in error, you are advised that any use, printing, copying, forwarding or distribution of this email is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform the sender that this message has gone astray before deleting it.