There are some who would like to see a cycle lane painted in the gutter of the A48 (and other main routes).  However, I would not let my child (or want to see any child) use them, with vehicles speeding past at 60, 70, 80 mph just centimetres away!  Cheap is not good, and often unusable. It is time that in the UK we did things well - cheap is often a waste of time and money!

What should happen is that the road is narrowed, and the saved space (on one side) used to provide a segregated, two-way cycle path that everyone considers safe and attractive to use.  Painted hard-shoulders are not acceptable or attractive to most, provide limited safety, and thus the most expensive form of cycling infrastructure.

I also do not agree that it is just about educating the cyclist (perhaps 10 years old - or with a learning disability), and/or motorists.  I strongly believe that we need to educate the politicians and the engineers - and I also believe that engineers should not be designing our streets - in the early days of the internet, IT engineers built websites, with pointless intro. pages that showed off their programming skills, but were useless and time consuming  for users.  Now it is marketeers who "design" websites, with IT engineers in support.  We need a shift in responsibility for the design of our streets/roads - to a new profession and/or perhaps back to local communities?

Ian