Nian,

Before you dump the column, clean it and run some protein standards on it.  If everything looks OK, run a small sample of your protein again.  If it behaves the same way, then you may have a protein with hydrophobic patches.  Anomalous binding to and elution from polymeric SEC media (sepharose, superdex, etc.) occurs with hydrophobic proteins, including some membrane proteins.  This is how they discovered hydrophobic chromatography. If you equilibrate your column in low salt, but your protein is in high salt (as might happen right after a Ni-chelation column), some of it will bind to the column.  As the salt concentration decreases, it will release off the column, spreading the protein peak over a wider volume.  However, it may still weakly bind to the column matrix and spread out even more.

If this is the case, some remedies would be to vary the salt concentration (lower the better), add in detergents, or use a chaotropic salt like LiCl instead of NaCl.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rm[log in to unmask]