Hmm, I used to think I understood this, but I'm feeling a bit dim right
now.

On 25/08/2011 11:07, Ian Tickle wrote:
> Since the target function in MX refinement is the total likelihood
> (working set + restraints), there's no reason whatsoever why any
> another function, such as Rfree & LLfree, should have an extremum at
> the same point in parameter space as the target function.
This is self-evident;  what is not obvious is why the target function
should be having the final word.  Wasn't the word "over-refinement"
introduced to describe exactly this:  that the target function was
wrong?  Isn't this the purpose of cross-validation, to use an
independent measure to judge when the refinement is /not/ producing the
"best" model?

> Rfree is particular is problematic because it is unweighted, so poorly
> measured reflections in the test set are going to have a
> disproportionate influence on the result (e.g. see /Acta Cryst./
> (1970). A*26*, 162).
This may be true;  but as it is independent of refinement, is it not
nevertheless the only measure I should trust?

Or maybe what you intended to say:  only trust refinements for which
Rfree decreases monotonically, because only then do you have a valid
choice of parameters.

phx.