> Point #2 would hold if we routinely let our refinements run to
> convergence;  seems common though to run "10 cycles" or "50 cycles" instead
> and draw conclusions from the behaviour of the metrics.  Are the conclusions
> really much different from the comparison-at-convergence you advocate?
> Which is in practice often less convenient.

May be run refinement many times with slightly different starting points and
consider looking at an ensemble? "Convergence" seems to have a vague meaning
when it comes to macromolecular crystallographic structure refinement (p.
75-76 here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/pavel_refinement_general.pdf
)

Pavel