Davie was trying to make a parallel claim – that Hardy was the important figure for twentieth-century poetry. The contortions that he goes through to fit Roy Fisher into this paradigm would be amusing except that the rumour was that this chapter put Fisher off writing for a while.

Robert

From: British & Irish poets [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jamie McKendrick
Sent: 06 August 2011 13:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Slidvid of Aleph Null stills

Jim, Herzog seems out to prove the exact opposite of Wordsworth's optimistic "Nature never did betray the heart that loved her"

Which reminds us there's another side to Wordsworth to the one David calls the "middle class ruminative". But I'm not sure we want to go down that road with all its "empirical" roadsigns again.

David, I'm guessing we're almost exact contemporaries, and experienced the clammy, assertive presence of Thatcherism at the same time, but I don't quite recognise these blighted geneologies. Though far from confident on the topic of the 'British Poetry Revival', I can't see it growing out of 'The Purity of English Diction'. Do you really think the influence of Davie (though an astute critic on Hardy, Pound and Bunting) reaches out that far? He seems latterly to have settled for Sisson and Tomlinson as the great poets of the age. And as a poet himself?

  Even if Rimbaud still seems way ahead of any subsequent avant, or for that matter retro, garde, I don't feel as gloomy (as I take you to be) about the possibilities of something lasting being - or having been - made in our time. Though the present pasticciaccio at the Poetry Society doesn't bode that well for the administrative arm.

Whatever forms of patronage exist, whether aristocratic, state or academic, I suspect poetry of any note always happens "in spite of" rather than "because" of it.

I'm afraid I won't be able to follow this thread beyond today as I've just booked a flight from Liverpool to Catalunya, cheap enough not to be conspicuously bourgeois.

Hasta luego,

Jamie