We went to watch the film in Stamford (not far from the tomb of William
Cecil) and not only were there no 3D glasses but also the advertised
post-showing link up with the director didn't happen so possibly the
lizard-alien at the end was the most (visually or otherwise)  interesting
moment but as one of a mercurial disposition myself I was quite touched that
the cave artist had been evidently one of the crooked little finger
fraternity too. I did wonder about the rival claims to antiquity in other
places myself. I did like though Herzog's suggestion that to the people of
the time the paintings had an equivalent visual impact to moving pictures.
It's rather refreshing, drawing from the deep wells of the cultural past:
I've just been reading Fagles' versions of the Odyssey and the Iliad, back
to back, and even though translation they do remind me of why I took to
poetry in the first place. Muldoon praised Fagles for catching the 'savagery
and swagger' of the poems, but of course Homer isn't really any more savage
than we are, *collectively*,  it's just more open about it, as children are.

best

david

--
David Joseph Bircumshaw