To be absolutely honest the problems that I see are few and far between. Currently I see most taught students for a F2F induction in their first two weeks here and we have a help/FAQ. All our written assessments should use Turnitin so when it comes to the final thesis it should be well rehearsed. In practice I guess some go to Library because they have an out of (well extended) hours and off-campus support. There will be a few walk-ups to the IT Helpdesk who have been referred by their School or the library and more direct from Course Administrator but I am talking about perhaps 3 or 4 a week on 30,000 submissions per year.

The most common, around 75% of calls, is that if a user connects using our VPN Turnitin cannot read the encrypted file. It does say on the extranet login page DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE TO CONNECT TO BLACKBOARD but that seems to be too subtlely worded!

-----Original Message-----
From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yvonne Smith
Sent: 02 August 2011 08:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BLACKBOARD-USERGROUP] Blackboard and Turnitin Technical Support

Edge Hill University is reviewing how to best support students who are experiencing problems using Blackboard and Turnitin. First line support is currently provided by the library help desk advisers, with second line support being provided by our Learning Technology team. We are interested in hearing how other institutions provide support for more technical / difficult issues.

How provides this support?
Do they see students face-to-face / participate in help desks?
What services do they provide and support?
What is the relationship with the library help desk?
Are SLA's for issue resolution in place?
How are details of issues passed to the resolution team, and details of resolution passed to students?
What works well and what not so well?

Please let me know your experiences.

Apologies for cross-posting.

Yvonne Smith