From: Mooney, Darren [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 August 2011 15:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: EHRC Seeking views on Reasonable Accommodation

Dear All, this has come into my inbox and following out discussions last
month thought I would forward this on:

Dear colleague

Last month the Commission announced that we had applied to intervene at
the European Court of Human Rights in four legal cases involving
discrimination and religion or belief. We have now been granted
permission to do so.

We are considering using the four cases already before this Court as a
platform to advise on and clarify the interpretation of human rights
laws. We are seeking your views on our proposed submission on the human
rights elements of the four cases claiming religious discrimination, and
separately, whether the concept of reasonable accommodation has any
useful practical application in cases concerning the manifestation of
religion or belief.

We have produced an informal consultation document which sets out the
general direction of the commission's intervention and asks some
specific questions. If you would like to respond, please do so by Monday
5th September. This is a short deadline but, as we expected, the Court
has only given us a few weeks in which to prepare our submissions.

For more information, please download the consultation document from our
website via the link below."

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/legal-and-policy/human-rights-legal-p
owers/legal-intervention-on-religion-or-belief-rights-seeking-your-views
/

Darren Mooney BSc, MA

Diversity & Equality Officer

Human Resources