I was asked by some readers what we know about the availability of the citrate-NaF-EDTA tube. The guideline cites the below two references which provide further information on this.

Bruns DE, Knowler WC. Stabilization of glucose in blood samples: why it matters. Clin Chem 2009;55:850-2.

Gambino R, et al. Acidification of blood is superior to sodium fluoride alone as an inhibitor of glycolysis. Clin Chem 2009;55:1019-21.

From the latter paper I quote the relevant information which might be of help:
"Terumo Medical Corporation manufactures a blood-collection tube (Venosafe(r) Glycaemia) that contains the ingredients identified in the patent. These ingredients are a granular mixture of a citrate buffer, NaF, and disodium EDTA with a combined mass of 7.5 g/L of blood. Terumo does not specify the ratios of the ingredients. Moreover, we found no published study of this acidified Terumo blood-collection tube for measuring blood glucose concentrations. This tube is available in Europe but not in the US. We were able to obtain samples of the tube containing the acidification reagents, for experimental use only, through our laboratory in the UK."

I wish to declare no commercial interest in the named company or any other tube supplier.

Regards, Rita
Prof. Andrea Rita Horvath
Clinical Director
SEALS North, Department of Clinical Chemistry
Level 4, Campus Centre, Prince of Wales Hospital
Barker Street, Randwick, NSW 2031, Sydney, Australia
Tel: (+612)-9382 9078
Fax: (+612)-9382 9099
Mobile No: (+61)-404 027 843.

Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, South East Sydney Local Health District and Sydney Children's Hospital Network (Randwick Campus) Confidentiality Notice

This email, and the files transmitted with it, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not permitted to distribute or use this email or any of its attachments in any way. We also request that you advise the sender of the incorrect addressing.

This email message has been virus-scanned. Although no computer viruses were detected, Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District, South East Sydney Local Health District and Sydney Children's Hospital Network (Randwick Campus) accept no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk