Dear Collective

We have a 66y F who presented in May last year with right upper quad abdo pain and general abdo discomfort with an amylase of 171 u/l NR (28-100)

LFT’s , U+E, CRP Lipids all normal.

Her abdo symptoms disappeared (no other investigations performed, never ultrasound scanned)

Her amylase persists to be raised to this day (168,158,264,215,198,2110)

We did a macroamylase check using standard protocol below

The formula is (urine amylase x serum creatinine) / (serum amylase x urine creatinine) x 100.
The normal range is 2-5%. In Macroamylasemia the ratio is usually less than 2%

She gave a value of 1.6% so we thought we had nailed it, but………………..

Her Lipase has come back at 75 u/l top of the range being 70 .

The only other slightly unusual feature is a persistently low alkaline  phosphatase which runs 40 -45 u/l

Any thoughts

Cheers John

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/