Dear all,

Its just an unusual request..  I’m not sure whether being asked to return surplus sample is any different from asking to keep a removed renal or gall bladder stone if not required for analysis and I don’t believe that the sample is legally the property of the analysing laboratory.. I also believe that the patient does not have to give a reason why he/she wants it back.

I would suggest having a discussion with the requesting doctor to determine if there are any further tests required and also ask whether he/she is comfortable with the request. To be on the safe side a discussion with the local PALS or the Trust’s Caldicott Guardian would be advisable. The patient can be told that their sample will be stored until the ownership issue is clarified given that it is an unusual request. In the absence of advice to the contrary release the surplus sample with a caveat in writing that the sample may no longer be sterile or fit for further analysis.

With respect to the other documentation: I believe patients can now ask for copies of all letters sent between the HCPs dealing with them and I personally have never met with resistance when asking to see my results in OPD or at the GPs – at OPD visits at my former Hospital I rarely  reveal my (ex) status or profession – perhaps it’s the way I ask.

I know this may set precedents and potentially place a greater burden on labs to ensure chain of custody etc (actually not sure of that), open the floodgates etc but its not appropriate to get all humpy and precious about it, could be just a stressed individual who needs a bit of hand holding.

It is worth remembering that patients are not simply numbers or revenue sources and requests from them, no matter how daft should be treated with respect and not trivialised.

Jeff Slater   Consultant Clinical Scientist (Retd)

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/