Big Data and Machine Learning Engineer
Full time permanent position
Company: State
Location: London UK

We're building an ambitious big new site in the social web area, with plenty of technology challenges at the core. We need a software engineer who can work on the machine learning, data mining and recommendation aspects particularly. You'll need a healthy mix of academic smarts and pragmatic software engineering experience. You'd be joining a young team at the early stages of growth, so there is a massive opportunity to influence the product direction and break new ground.

We haven't launched our product yet so you won't see much about us on the internet, but you find out a lot more at the interview. We are building a very large-scale mass-market consumer service, both web and mobile, and there are some big names involved with the company. We're working with the semantic web, social networks and new forms of expression and communication, so there will be plenty of good problems to get your teeth into and lots of data to work with. We already have a strong team with backgrounds from Stanford, Cambridge and the like, and founding experience from places like Jawbone, Skype, Reptel, Mixercast, betfair, LiveJournal and the BBC iPlayer.

Essential Skills and Experience

Experience successfully creating data mining or machine learning solutions for large-scale real-world problems.
Experience with "big data" processing using tools such as Hadoop and Mahout.
Strong programming experience in a number of languages, including commercial experience working in an agile team
Experience with NoSQL or schemaless databases such as MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchDB.
Strong academic background in computer science, statistics, mathematics or similar (typically Masters or PhD but maybe you've learned this along the way rather than at a university).
Ability to think independently and strategically to find the right problems to solve; desire to analyse data to figure out the best solutions for problems.
Sense of humour

Desirable Skills and Experience

Any of these would be a plus, as our main software stack relies on them: Ruby, Rails, Node JS, RabbitMQ. Experience with consumer web services will give you a big head start.
Specific experience with recommender systems, information retrieval, text processing / computational linguistics , NLP would all help.

Contact: Please email [log in to unmask] with a CV.  You must already have permission to work in the UK and be willing to interview and work in London.

SIGNOFF allstat