From: UsabilityNews [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Cristina Sylla
Sent: 02 July 2011 17:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Workshop: BEYOND THE BINDING: EXPLORING THE FUTURE BOOK

Workshop: BEYOND THE BINDING: EXPLORING THE FUTURE BOOK,
http://beyondthebinding.org/ <http://beyondthebinding.org/>

Workshop @ Creativity and Cognition, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 3-6
November, 2011 http://dilab.gatech.edu/ccc/index.htm
<http://dilab.gatech.edu/ccc/index.htm>

We'd really appreciate if you could forward this call for submissions to
anyone
you think might be interested!

We've also extended the deadline to July 15th.

Thanks!!

We have reached a special moment in the story of the book: today's
youngest generation will experience literature in a vastly different
way than the generation preceding. What we call a book has always
morphed over time, but digital capabilities and the ubiquity of mobile
electronics are changing the landscape at an unprecedented pace. What
forms will the spirit of "book" take many years from now?

This workshop will be a forum for creative exploration and discussion
of the future of the book, motivated by this particular historical
moment and a desire to bring together researchers from diverse
backgrounds who are working on book-related technologies. We will
share and document visions, approaches, and techniques.

Join us at this Workshop to:

Share ideas, techniques, and approaches with researchers from diverse
disciplines.

Discuss the history, present landscape and future directions for book
technologies.

Produce a bound volume collecting new book exemplars: a book of future
books.

How to participate ?

We are looking for creative explorations that preserve, reinvent, or
repurpose the functions and affordances of the book. We welcome a wide
range of practitioners from areas including engineering, interaction
design, research or art.

We encourage participants to bring along materials showcasing
prototyped concepts and works-in-progress for discussion and
inspiration.

Submit the work as a video or images with a 2 page description paper
explaining the concept, or a 4 page position paper discussing your
approach to the theme. Submissions must be sent as a pdf file
formatted according to the ACM SIGCHI Publications Format
<http://www.sigchi.org/chipubform/ <http://www.sigchi.org/chipubform/> >
and should not exceed 4 pages.

Submissions should be sent to [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Important Dates:

Extended submission deadline: July 15, 2011

Notification of acceptance for submitted work: July 31, 2011

Please notice that at least one author of each accepted work must
register for the workshop and the C&C 2011 conference.

For questions concerning the workshop please contact the organizers:

For a detailed description of the workshop and updated information:
http://beyondthebinding.org/ <http://beyondthebinding.org/>

ORGANIZERS:

Natalie Freed1,  Jie Qi1, Cristina Sylla2, Pedro Branco2,3
1 -  MIT Media Lab
2 - engageLab, University of Minho /Portugal
3 - Dept. of Information Systems, University of Minho /Portugal

Cristina Sylla
:: http://beyondthebinding.org/ <http://beyondthebinding.org/>
<http://www.engagelab.org/Home/research/research-2/hlm>