I am putting together a panel for the upcoming ACIS Conference (Erin at Home
and Erin Abroad), and I am looking for 2-3 co-panelists.

My own paper will use the interviews conducted by the Irish Boundary
Commission (1924-1925) to examine how residents along the new border
defined, or redefined, their home.  Both the Irish Free State and Northern
Ireland were probing the limits of Northern Ireland and striving to create
economically- and culturally-viable states.  When economic interests
conflicted with the stated desire for cultural and religious homogeneity
within Northern Ireland, the Commissioners had to determine which was more
valuable for the nascent state. In almost every case they opted to preserve
the economic viability of the North at the expense of the ideal of an
overwhelmingly Protestant citizenry.  I address the broad themes of  oral
history as a historical source, state formation, and fluctuating identity.

If you are interested in collaborating on a panel, please contact me at

Clare
________
Clare Norcio
Doctoral Candidate