From: Thom Brooks [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 July 2011 11:59
To: Thom Brooks; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Stephen Parkinson; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Leslie Green; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Elleke Boehmer; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Rosalind O'hanlon; [log in to unmask]; Karen Leeder; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Elizabetheva Leach; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Ritchie Robertson; [log in to unmask]
Subject: AHRC and Big Society update

Dear friends and colleagues,

A brief update on AHRC and Big Society developments. First, the AHRC has confirmed that it has no plans to make any further comment on this matter. They have not released any statement about Peer Review College resignations. Secondly, I can confirm that the AHRC CEO Rick Rylance has had an 'embargo' since mid-May on all communications on this issue because some messages received he thought were hate mail. Emails sent to him about this are not reaching his desk.

There remains much media interest in the campaign. Since Friday, Rick Rylance has also taken on the role of RCUK Chair. I understand that several media organizations are running with stories about this, including the Guardian, Times Higher, possibly BBC, and Research Fortnightly amongst others.

Several colleagues have contacted me to say that either they or persons they knew support the campaign, but have concerns about making their support public for various reasons (including, but NOT LIMITED TO):

1.      They have had any concerns that speaking out against the AHRC's decision would lead to more likely rejection of research projects or lower grades       awarded to completed research projects.

2.      They have been put under any institutional pressure against speaking out.

3.      Their institutions have encouraged colleagues to submit funded projects on the topic of the 'Big Society' because they believe such projects will       be more likely to win funding.

If this is true for you (or someone you know) and you (or they) are willing to speak ENTIRELY OFF THE RECORD, then I would ask that you contact Shiv Malik @ [log in to unmask] Shiv is an investigative journalist at The Guardian and he broke the story about Peer Review College resignations. He is trying to determine whether there are issues about academic freedom, free speech, etc. arising from this larger story and he is looking to receive some feedback, again, ENTIRELY OFF THE RECORD. He can be trusted.

I will be in touch with further developments. I have quite literally received hundreds (!) of emails in support of the campaign and I hope we see some positive developments soon. In the meantime, please do spread word far and wide for colleagues to contact Shiv ([log in to unmask]).

Warmest wishes,

Thom
Dr Thom Brooks
Reader in Political and Legal Philosophy

Department of Politics
Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
United Kingdom