Just to add another data point:

I just upgraded to Mac OSX snow leopard 10.6.8 (including the Java update).

 java -version
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-10M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

I'm using Matlab 7.12.0 (R2011a).

SPM and other gui tools seem to be working fine. No crashing.

-Dianne

--
Dianne Patterson, Ph.D.
Research Scientist