This old response (written shortly after our UK referendum on changing
our voting system) may help here:

Like voting systems, if there are more than two alternatives, there is
no single best approach for picking the winner.  To avoid such holes,
you may wish to consider a first past the post system, where you
assign membership based on what class has the largest probability.
However, this may not be so effective if you consider a voxel with a
35% probability of being GM, 25% probability of being WM and a 40%
probability of being scalp.  This voxel would be labelled as scalp,
but is more likely to be brain than non-brain.

FSL segmentation incorporates an MRF model, which uses neighbourhood
information to inform class membership.  This has the effect of
shifting the belonging probabilities closer to either 0 or 1, thus
reducing the ambiguity.

Best regards,
-John

On 1 June 2011 19:54, Greggory Rothmeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I'm using SPM8 and 'New Segmentation' to segment the single_subj_T1.nii file
> in the canonical folder.  I then import them into matlab and use round() to
> set each element to a binary tissue (1) or no tissue (0).  If I do this for
> each of the tissue types and then add them together, I end up with gaps in
> the data.  I assume that this is because SPM didn't have enough confidence
> in it being a particular type of tissue or it's a mixture of different
> types.  I've also done segmentation with FSL
> (http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/) and it outputs segmented files that fit
> together like I'm looking for, but it doesn't have as many tissue types.  Is
> there a setting within SPM8 to force it to make a decision about the tissue
> type so that the resulting segmented files fit together without gaps?
> Thank you,
> Greggory

Personally, I wouldn't do any thresholding.  Instead of counting GM or
WM voxels, I would sum up the probabilities (and multiply by the
volume of a voxel).

Best regards,
-John