Linda.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 11:06 AM, L. Geerligs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi SPM users,
>
> I have a problem with the interpretation of the findings in a
> psychophysiological interaction (PPI) analysis.
>
> Recently I did a PPI analysis on event related fMRI data in which one event
> was presented more frequent than the other (oddball task).
> I selected a seed region by using the first eigenvariate of the time courses
> of all voxels in a 6 mm radius around a peak voxel.
> Then I looked at the difference between the two stimulus types (contrast 1
> -1).
> The results of this analysis showed decreased connectivity from the seed
> region to a large scale network, in the less frequent condition
> compared to the more frequent condition. The network we identified made
> sense according to existing literature.
> The curious thing about the result is that we also observed a decrease in
> connectivity within the brain area which I chose as the seed.
> Moreover, when I repeated this analysis with different seed regions, I found
> different networks, but similar decreases of connectivity
> with the brain area from which the seed time course was constructed.
>
> Therefore, I started to wonder about the validity of the findings. Is it
> possible that a PPI analysis with conditions with
> unequally frequent stimuli gives spurious results? And if not, how can it be
> that I find a decreased regression from the seed region to
> itself in one condition compared to another?
>
> The PPI model was constructed in SPM8, in such a way that the ppi variable
> was orthogonal to the Y and P variables (using spm_orth)
> and the data was filtered with the first eigenvariate from the signals of
> white matter and csf voxels.

I don't the issue is an unequal number of events. I am more concerned
about this last step in which you orthogonalize the interaction
regressor vs. its main effects (Y and P). This is not usually done in
a PPI analysis and perhaps leads to the local negative correlations.

Darren

--
Darren Gitelman, MD
Northwestern University